Kavanagh's Mews is based in Ireland's embassy belt. The American Embassy is its near neighbour and on July 4th it's a notable date for musing over that great building and how it stood in the 1960's.
The Embassy was designed by an American architect, John MacL. Johansen, consulting Michael Scott, the prominent Irish architect. Their brief was to design a building to fit in with the triangular site at Elgin and Pembroke Roads, to reflect Irish stylistic features and to deliver on efficient function and attractive form.
Round and reflective of features found in fifth century Celtic monuments the building captures all directions with a "moat" of flowering plants and trees bridged at the entrance.
In 1969 An Taisce, the National Trust of Ireland, honoured the Embassy with an award "for effective development of a prominent corner site on a main city approach, for sympathy of scale with existing environment and interest of character, without imitation of surrounding buildings, and for integration with the existing trees and street setting".
The construction of the building started in 1962 by G. & T. Crampton, Ltd., of Dublin and was completed in May, 1964. Fionbarr Callanan's photo posted here captures the Embassy's former context and points to the quietness, serenity and ease of Ballsbridge at that time which still holds true in many ways today.
Fionnbar's Photojournalism which started in 1950 is some of the best our young country has seen. To browse his archive follow this link: ARCHIVE SAMPLE - Ireland.